Friday, February 13, 2009

The Low Down...61 Shots Heard Around The World

Here's the LowDown...

I'd like to talk about my trip to New York a couple weeks back. I was in Madison Square Garden witnessing history. Luckily I had my 2 mega pixel camera with me and I was able to take these photos and share them with my readers.
Before I caught my flight up to New York, I was talking to Brad Piff, The Great One S., and Curtis Blow about how the Lakers were going to do without Bynum. I told them they would be fine, because they got to the finals last year without him and I believe they are on a mission. Number 24 will not allow them to think otherwise. Last year they were devastated and it took them sometime to recover before they started playing good ball. This time around they are battle tested and Trevor Ariza is healthy, so they have a different mind set. I know my boys think otherwise, but I just felt like something positive was going to come from this set back.
Kobe Bryant is a student of the game and he knows it's history. We exchanged texts through out the day and he was very short with his responses, so I knew what time it was. Kobe realized that the rest of the team was down and this was type of game that they could easily lose if they were not focused. Plus this is the "GAWDEN". That's how they say it in New York and Kobe much like Mike respects the Mecca and their fans. I knew they would win and he would lead them, but what followed was purely theatrical.
I arrived just in time for tip off and I said "Whattup" to Jay Z, Spike and Woody Allen and I took my seat beside Phil Jackson. Thanks for the tickets Kobe. Al Harrington tried to joke with Kobe right before tip off and Kobe just brushed him off and later Al said he knew they were in trouble. From the beginning it was all Kobe and Gasol as they scored 30 of the Lakers first 31 points. With Lamar scoring the other point. Something that I noticed just before the quarter was over was Chandler from the Knicks gloating about a lay up attempt that he block of Kobe's. Wrong thing to do as Kobe made it a point to hit his next five shots on him and close out the half with 34 points. It was a Garden Party in Kobe's honor and the Knicks were his special guests. He danced with those bitches all night long and even kissed them to show his appreciation.








Something happened in the second half that I have never seen before in all of my years of watching ball. The NEW YORK KNICKERBOCKER FANS WERE CHANTING FOR KOBE AND YELLING MVP! MVP! MVP! Spike leaned over and said Picasso couldn't have painted a prettier picture than this. He also said Mike has gotten standing ovations at the end of a great performance, but he was never cheered actually while the game was going on. Kobe dunked, hit fadeaways, reverse layups, up and unders and a 360 move that had Spike on his feet leading the crowd in a rendition of NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH HEY HEY HEY GOODBYE. This performance was ridiculous. Bernard King had the record for points in the "GAWDEN" with 60 and Jordan had the record for points for a visitng player with 55. Kobe knew his history and did Jordan and Bernard better with 61. As the game was winding down Phil took Kobe out to a standing ovation and he hi-fived Kobe. Phil doing a hi-five with a player?! If you don't believe me check out the photos that accompanies this blog. Phil even said this was special and he has seen it all...the double nickel game and 81.







Afterwards Kobe, Spike and myself met up at Spike's place and talked about this documentary Spike is doing on Kobe for ESPN. D Wade texted Kobe and said "awesome game". Lebron called and said "save some of that shit for the Celtics". Jordan texted Kobe and said "fuck you I still have 6 to your 3" and they shared some laughs over it.
To all of you Kobe haters out there, appreciate what you are seeing because when it is gone you are going to miss it. This man does things that only Mike could do. Even though it was the Knicks, last night Kobe put the rest of the basketball world on notice. THE LAKERS WILL NOT LAY DOWN FOR ANYBODY. IF YOU DON'T THINK THEY CAN WIN IT ALL, DON'T SING IT...BRING IT.



I'M OUT LIKE THE KNICKS PRIDE AFTER GIVING UP 61 LAST NIGHT TO THE GREATEST PLAYER ON THE PLANET.

2 comments:

Jay Em said...

Damn Kobe..

Anonymous said...

Them new Zoom Kobes are growing on me. Lowtops or not.

-Lil Swagz