Sunday, March 9, 2008

The Wire...Comes To An End





I've been sitting here for the last hour and half glued to the TV. My telephone goes unanswered, my daughter get's ignored, nothing else matters!!! I must absorb every second of the final episode of my favorite show, HBO's The Wire. And now that it's over....I'm still just sitting here trying to gather my emotions. I can't believe this it it. No more McNulty, no more Lester, no more Bubbles, no more Lt. Daniels, no more Marlo, no more Omar (eye's tear up), no more Chris & Snoop, no more nothing. DAMN!!!

Residing in west Baltimore, I'm sooo familiar with the ills of my city. But the ills help give Baltimore character...as no city is perfect. The Wire put emphasis on a lot of struggles that inner city youths go thru. It showed drug dealing, drug use and abuse, and the unapologetic violence that exist in the streets. It shined a bright light on politics in Baltimore showing the inner workings, deals, and hustles. Yes...hustle and poli-tricks! The police department and the officers that were featured were either loathed or admired because they were "real", with all their faults. Naw...Miami Vice this shit ain't, just real police work with little rewards. The Wire will always be considered "different" TV. It's one of the few television programs that was so hard edged that either you loved it, or you just couldn't relate.

Trust me when I tell you that all loose ends are tied up. No fairy tale ending...but an ending never the less. (Fuck that Soprano shit!) I won't spoil anything for all those that haven't watched the conclusion yet. I'll just say I was pleased. The bad guys (Marlo and his crew) walked the 3 roads most traveled by their kind. Some of them received time, some of them didn't, and some caught dirt naps. (clapping) But in the end...the game will continue. Both Mike and Dookie's destinies were fullfilled, and I can't say I didn't see both coming. Bubbles showed that change can happen if you really want it (One of the most positive aspects of the season). I love Andre Royo's character. And finally, the emphasis on truth telling and having a clear conscience was made loud and clear all throughout the episode. (McNulty, Was it worth it?)

Well...The Wire has come to an end. All 5 seasons will be remembered as classic, that Baltimore swag (YA"HEARD ME!). But I can't help but think that the story, the message could have endured much longer.

No comments: